General Electric Steam Generator

This unit is one of the original five steam generators in the Pennsylvania Electric Company’s Front Street Generating Station which generated electricity for Erie from 1917 until 1991.

Its presence on the first floor reminds visitors that this building, which houses the Erie Maritime Museum exhibits, collections storage, offices and the U.S. Brig Niagara’s extensive rigging, carpentry and maintenance workshops, is an example of preservation of Erie’s historic architecture through adaptive reuse.